1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Got divorced, rented a home all on my own, put my kids in daycare.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
The only resolution that stuck in my head was to make more homemade bread, and even though I didn't start keeping that resolution until June, yes, I now make almost all of the bread we eat from scratch.
This year's resolutions are:
Exercise 3-4 times a week
Learn to knit
Take Claire and Natalie somewhere on vacation
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My dog, Freya.
5. What countries did you visit?
I stayed in good ol' Minnesota, USA
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
More financial security, and a bigger savings account. Which really are about one and the same.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 1, when Alec asked for a separation
January 18 when he asked for a divorce
The day in April when the mediation took place, because I realized that I can think for myself and fight for what I want/need
July 5, when I started my job
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting my job, definitely. Being out of the workforce for over 4 years, and having very specific job skills (transcription) made getting any job very difficult, especially in this economy.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I am not acknowledging any failures this year, as I did my best in everything that happened.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My nook. Hands down. It was my gift to myself after the divorce was final.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Legal fees and daycare. Also gas and food.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Getting hired at Cannon Valley, the ultra-huge, completely free dollhouse I scored for the girls' Christmas.
14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Glee Season 1 Soundtrack
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Infinitely happier
– thinner or fatter? Thinner, due to the stress-induced Diet Coke starvation diet that consumed my January, and surprisingly has lasted most of the year. I've put a few pounds back on, but I'm still thinner than last December.
– richer or poorer?
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
More activities with Claire and Natalie
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Dwelling on things I wish I'd said or done regarding my relationship with my ex-husband.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
With the whole wild rumpus at Mom & Dad's house on Christmas Eve, at Claire's first Sunday School Christmas program where she twirled around at the front while the other kids were singing "Go Tell it On the Mountain," then the girls had a visit on Saturday and Sunday.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Glee, Grey's Anatomy, Castle, Dancing with the Stars, The Best Thing I Ever Ate.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Clan of the Cave Bear, The Love Comes Softly Series, the Chet and Bernie mysteries
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
The Glee soundtrack
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Toy Story 3 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Dinner with my family, I turned 31
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
It actually ended up being incredibly satisfying, so I can't really add anything.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
New life haircut, ended wearing plain T-shirts and started wearing nicer clothes
26. What kept you sane?
My faith, my parents, my siblings, my daughters
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
God gives you what you need, but only when you really and truly need it.