Monday, June 23, 2008

Bibbity-Bobbity-Boo

There was magic this weekend. At least according to the guys.
My whole family except one brother spent the weekend at one sister's house while cheering another sister on in the Grandma's Marathon in Duluth. It was craziness. There were my parents, the running sister, her (almost) fiance and his mom, the hostess sister and her husband, my youngest brother, my youngest sister, me, the LT, and Cee. And 5 dogs. Uff-da.
We all showed up on Friday. Half of us stayed with the hostess sister, the other half at the hotel in Duluth. There wasn't as much magic on Friday night. There were screaming giggles from my overtired sister who's almost 3 and my overtired daughter at the restaurant. There were gutblasting laughs as those of us who stayed with the hostess watched Old School. But not much magic.
The magic arrived Saturday. We watched the runner sister cross the finish line. There was a 73-year-old woman who finished the marathon. I can hardly run 26.2 feet, and this woman ran 26.2 miles. Wow. Then we went back to the house where the hostess sister's husband spit a turkey (boy, that sounds funny when you first read it) and the wine/beer/other alcohol started flowing. And holy cow, did we have too much food. I ate so much junk that I couldn't eat the spitted turkey. After I put Cee to bed and my dad had also gone to bed, I found that the guys had pretty much banished the girls to the house so they (the guys) could drink beer, eat s'mores, tell obnoxious jokes, and pass gas. The guys ranged in age from 19-30, but under those circumstances, they were really all about 12. Evidently the girls ruined the "magic" or "mystique" in the words of the LT. So my sisters, mom, the almost-fiance's mom, and I crashed in the living room, joking about guys and their "magic" and talking about feet. Yes, it was just as weird as that sounds.
The next morning, the guys were telling us about the unicorns and pixie dust and how the wizard arrived just as one of the little dogs was humping a dwarf, and then the wizard turned the dog into a real boy, but only until midnight.
This is my family.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! This IS your family!!! And we are all as odd and wonderful as anyone can imagine:) I had a good time looking up wedding dresses and shoes and flowers this weekend. yes. I have found so many things, even invitations. it hits like a load of bricks!!

    ReplyDelete