Thursday, June 24, 2010

Homemade bread

Before my life got thrown off-kilter, one of my New Year's resolutions was going to be to start making homemade bread. I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with a dough hook, and several of my cookbooks have some good and simple yeast bread recipes. Obviously, that resolution didn't happen at the New Year.
But now that I'm in my own house and have my own kitchen, I've started. Yesterday I made Vermont Oatmeal Maple-Honey Bread from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. Mom made it a few times while we were living there, and I had all the ingredients on hand. Oh, boy, it smelled SO GOOD while it was baking. The girls and I have been eating it all day. Breakfast toast, lunch PB sandwiches.
This link from the King Arthur Flour website is essentially the same recipe. I used brown sugar instead of maple sugar and put in 1/2 teaspoon of maple flavoring.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/vermont-whole-wheat-oatmeal-honey-bread-recipe
I'm hoping to make bread often, so that the girls and I are eating at least as much homemade bread as store-bought.

1 comment:

  1. awesome aubrey! I have been using the recipe from my betty crocker baking cook book, but I'm getting sick of it. I bought spelt flour and was looking for a recipe to use with that. I'd be better off just buying the King Arthur one though, i think...

    ReplyDelete