Thursday, January 19, 2012

Home for Insomniac Children

Last night Claire and Natalie fell asleep pretty easily and were tucked in their beds between 8-8:30 like normal. Natalie woke and called for me some time later, so we cuddled on the sofa and we both fell asleep there. I woke up at 1am and carried her back to bed. She woke a little, fussed a little, I got her to sleep again, but then she woke up at a little after 2am. I tried to get her to fall back asleep by telling her I'd come back in 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc. But around 2:40, I heard her get out of bed (no small feat for her, since she has a full-length bed rail on her bed) and she informed me it was time to get up. Claire was also awake by this point. Since I was exhausted, I tucked them both in with me. But it took them SO long to fall back asleep. Neither was particularly impressed when I got them out of bed at 6:15 this morning.
Claire is learning the verse with the fruits of the Spirit, Galatians 5:22, 23. This one is challenging to remember all of the said fruits.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. Against such things there is no law.
Natalie is learning 1Thessalonians 5:16, 17. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing.
Now that we know where Claire is going to attend school next year, I've started telling her more about it. Right now, the part that excites her is riding the bus with Alair. I'll be driving her to school in the morning, since I'll be dropping Natalie off at day care the same as always, and I drive past North Morristown on my way to work. But Claire will take the bus home to Dama and Bapa's house in the afternoons with Alair. "And I'll do that every day, right? Except for Saturday and Sunday?" Otherwise, "school" is still a fairly abstract concept for her.
Claire does enjoy watching Alair do her worksheets in the afternoons, and we have a couple of little workbooks for her, and she gets a real kick out of doing them. She is very eager to learn to read, and is constantly asking me "what does this letter say?" "What's this word?" Claire's writing is also coming along by leaps and bounds. She is able to write almost all her letters, and they are quite legible.
It will really be a new experience when Claire starts kindergarten for all of us. Claire, obviously, will be in her new environment and learning all kinds of new things. But Natalie will be on her own at day care, and that might take some getting used to for her. Natalie has always had Claire around, and to have that change will probably be difficult at first. I know they'll adjust, since they've adjusted to everything else, but it will take some time and undoubtedly try my patience for a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment