Monday, February 6, 2012

Good Reads

I just finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. This is truly one of the greatest books I've had the pleasure of reading. The choice of narrator is nothing short of genius. The narrator was fascinating. The use of foreshadowing is usually something that drives me crazy (do you hear me, Stephen King?), but because of the narrator, it worked.
It also helps that this book takes place during World War II, an era that has always held a particular fascination for me, in nearly every aspect. I've enjoyed books (fiction and non-fiction) about the European Theater, the Pacific Theater, the Holocaust, the Home Front, books from American points of view, German points of view, etc.
Several of the books I've read in the past year have been set during this era. Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff, Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay, and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford are all great books from differing points of view and in different settings. I would recommend all of them to anyone who likes reading.
I wonder, with Stephen King's wild (and often freaky) imagination, how he would write a book set during WWII. It would probably be one of the scariest and interesting WWII books written.
I'm in the middle of re-reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I'm halfway through #6, Song of Susannah. I've only read this one, one other time along with the final book The Dark Tower. The Master of Horror has another Dark Tower tie-in coming out in April that takes place between #4 and #5, and I'm really excited for it. I am so glad, for a man who retired in 2004, that he's kept writing and publishing his stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment